The policing data challenge
Law enforcement agencies have access to massive volumes of data but lack the tools to interpret it. Potentially valuable data sources include:
- record management
- computer-aided dispatch systems
- operational data
- call data records
- open source and social media data (OSINT)
- investigation and intelligence reporting
Too often, however, this data is split into silos across the organization. Access is hindered, connections go undiscovered and opportunities to prevent crime are missed.
Let’s see how link analysis can help solve the data volume, complexity and urgency challenges faced by law enforcement agencies.
White paper: Lawful interception
Visualizing communications data as a network is an intuitive and efficient way of uncovering data insight. Learn how our technologies can make your lawful interception activity simpler, faster and more effective.
The link analysis solution
Connections are everywhere in policing data. Exploring them with link analysis is an intuitive way to understand large volumes of complex data.
Police contact centers rely heavily on accurate and fast access to data insight. We worked with Microsoft Services UK to help build a response management platform that coordinates 1.1 million crime incidents a year. With powerful link analysis technologies embedded in the user interface, officers access live contextual data, ensuring proportionate and timely responses.
We’ve also helped agencies improve their record management systems. These record details of incidents, including people, locations, vehicles, officers, etc. Presenting these as networks allows officers to build up a picture of events – like an interactive, real-time investigation wall.
Policing agencies also use powerful link analysis to combine and analyze large volumes of OSINT data. In this example, we’ve visualized information from online adverts to help understand human trafficking patterns.
Why choose us?
At Cambridge Intelligence, we build link analysis tools so law enforcement can see and understand complex connections in their data. The tools break down data silos, improve investigations, uncover richer intelligence, and lead to more efficient operations.
In particular, our technologies help overcome the specific data challenges facing modern policing:
- Volume – our link analysis tools provide outstanding performance, even when visualizing large datasets typical in a policing environment.
- Complexity – the node-link model is an intuitive way to make sense of complex data connections.
- Urgency – our software harnesses modern web technology, meaning they work on any device with access to a web browser. This means staff can access data from any location, at the point of need.
- Silos – our software is datastore agnostic. Data can be pulled from any source, including the older databases that many law enforcement agencies rely on.
Find out more
We work with forces and systems integrators around the world, helping to build the next generation of data analysis and visualization platforms for law enforcement. If you’d like to learn more, request a trial of our technology or get in touch.