What are social networks?
Social networks are graphs of social interactions and personal relationships.
It’s easy to understand and explore a social network in graph format, using people as nodes, relationships as edges and additional information (characteristics, preferences, affiliations, etc.) as properties. Sometimes other entities such as companies, products, groups or organizations, are included as nodes.
Why analyze social connections?
Network dynamics control the spread of information, news and ideas. They help identify tastes, opinions and activity. If we understand a person’s network, we have a much deeper knowledge than if we assessed them in isolation.
How to visualize social networks
Learn more about social networks and social network visualization.
Who needs to understand social networks?
Anyone with an interest in understanding humans and their behaviors can benefit from analyzing and visualizing social networks, including:
Government and law enforcement
- Predict criminal activity by monitoring connections between suspects
- Understand gang dynamics, discover leaders, followers and new individuals being integrated into a group
- Find new lines of enquiry by mapping known connections between crime
Sales and Marketing
- Identify, find and target influential people, including decision makers and thought leaders
- Understand your customer’s aspirations and requirements to better meet their needs (e.g. product recommendation mechanisms)
- Understand content and campaign propagation
Researchers and journalists
- Discover breaking stories as they happen and understand information spread
- Find authoritative experts and well-connected sources
- Research connected individuals pertinent to a story
Social networking sites
- Allow users to interact with their connections and discover new ones in an enjoyable and visually engaging way
- Help users understand how they share their data and with whom
- Discover and suggest community structures based on connections and shared interests
How to visualize social connections
Visualizing social networks in an interactive format offers faster and more accurate access to the network:
- Overview – there are certain visual cues, such as size, shape, distance and alignment, that the brain interprets intuitively. Use these to provide an almost instant overview of a complex network.
- Zoom and filter – include additional information using techniques such as color or numbers.
- Details on demand – use text labels and on-click menus to add a final layer of detail.
Social network analysis
A powerful and well-thought-out automatic layout is key to ensuring a useful visualization of a social network.
Why choose us?
Our technologies are designed for building custom network visualization applications. Our customers can build feature-rich visualization applications that suit their data and their question. These applications use WebGL to render graphics in the browser, meaning they are powerful and highly compatible. They will run flawlessly in all modern browsers, on any device.
Sophisticated functionality can be incorporated into these applications, including:
- Social Network Analysis – Degree, betweenness, closeness, kCores and shortest path
- Network filtering – filter nodes and links based on any filter logic you choose
- Layouts – precise and powerful layouts, including organic, structural, sequential and radial
- Combine nodes – Investigate nodes as well as groups by combining nodes
- Temporal analysis – understand how networks form, evolve and change over time
- Geospatial analysis – visualize your networks on maps, to understand geographic trends
Find out more
For more information, or for a demonstration of how our technology could help you understand social networks, get in touch with our team or request a trial.